Linux – Fixing the Epson (V33 Perfection) Scanner Issue in Kubuntu 18.04

[NOTE: As of Ubuntu/Kubuntu 20.04, the drivers from Epson work fine without this workaround. Download the driver, then follow the directions to install it.]

As of Kubuntu 17.10, my Epson V33 Perfection scanner stopped working with Linux. I bought this scanner specifically because it did work with Linux. That it stopped working was a serious disappointment as I have been using the same scanner for years and regularly need it for a variety of things.

I tried installing older versions of the software (I’ve kept the downloads from Epson for years) but that didn’t work. I tried it on a different computer with the same OS and that didn’t work. I tried a lot of troubleshooting and came up empty. After hours of trying various solutions, I gave up (that was a few months ago).

However, when my CPU died on my desktop computer forcing me to reformat it again about a month after I had previously tried, I figured it was time to try to solve this again. This time, however, I quickly came across the answer online (see here). It turns out, this is a bug in the latest version of the scanning software that ships with Linux, which confirmed that it wasn’t a problem with my scanner or with Epson’s software. Here’s what I did to fix the problem.

First, go ahead and install the latest version of Epson’s software from their website (start here – or just here – lots of clicks to get to where you need to go).

Untar the file you download and read the directions for how to install the software. (Basically, navigate to the directory you just untarred in a terminal then run ./install.sh).

Before this bug, that was all you needed to do and the scanner would work. Now, there are two more steps.

The second step, also at the terminal, is to type in:

sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

I’m not exactly sure what this command does but the “ln” command creates symbolic links, so I’m guessing it’s linking two files or commands that help correct the bug in the latest iteration of the software.

Then, open a text editing program and create a new, blank file. In that file, you’re going to add the following content:

# chmod device EPSON group
ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"

The first line of this file is just a comment. The second adds information about Epson scanners.

Save the file as “79-udev-epson.rules”.

Now, move that file from wherever you created it to the following directory:

“/etc/udev/rules.d/”

Like this:

Now, restart your computer. This worked for me. Hopefully, it will work for you too.

 1,648 total views,  5 views today

Kdenlive playhead doesn’t reposition on Linux

I use Kdenlive for editing videos when I have the occasional need to edit videos.  In recent versions of Kdenlive (e.g., 17.07.70), I have been running into a problem that has been driving me crazy.  The line that runs across the timeline editor, which is called the “playhead,” has been freezing in place.  I could click on a location and that location would show up in the Project Monitor one time, but when I tried to click anywhere else in the editor or move the playhead, it wouldn’t move.  It would stay where it was.  This made Kdenlive unusable.

Here’s a video illustrating the problem:

It took forever to find the solution to the problem, and the solution reveals that this is a bug in this version of kdenlive.  Apparently what is causing the problem is having multiple processor threads turned on in the settings in kdenlive.  Go to Settings -> Configure Kdenlive.  You’ll get this window:

Go to the Environment tab and you’ll see this:

If you’re having this problem, you’ve probably got your Processing threads variable set to something other than 1.  I had mine set to 8, thinking the 8 core cpu I have would speed up the editing process for 4k video.  As it notes in the screenshot, any threads above 1 is experimental.  By experimental, I guess the Kdenlive developers really mean “unusable.”

To solve the playhead not being movable problem, set the Processing threads variable to 1 (I tried other values as well, and only 1 works).  Hit OK.

Then restart Kdenlive. You should now be able to drag your playhead around again and edit videos, like this:

 371 total views,  1 views today